Monday, April 1, 2013

To Gift or Not To Gift

I am not a fan of giving or receiving gifts. This makes me a grinch or a cheapskate in the eyes of most people, likely the same people who would contend that it's the thought that counts. I resent wasting my time thinking about what others might want. I also know that I can't (don't even want to) afford what they really want. Unfortunately we are expected to give gifts more and more often and to more and more people. I have often purchased gift cards for people I don't even like or barely know.

Some people love the whole gift-exchanging scenario. It's their identity. I think they also like receiving. Some of the people who love, love, love gifting don't care if the recipient loves, loves, loves the gift; they simply want the feeling. In the book, "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman, I think it would be revealed that the acts of gift-giving and gift-receiving speak love to them. They are good at it, organized about it, they seem to love shopping and "things" (which often appear to me as crap). I have spent my entire adult life trying to understand these people. They are fortunate that they get to feel good about themselves in this consumer-driven society. They do not understand me, illustrated when they might criticize the efforts of the less enthusiastic; i.e., giving to a charity in a recipient's name is some sort of an insult or cash is crass, etc.

There is a faction who gives out of guilt, knowing the expectations. I usually fall in with this group with varying degrees of success and failure, uncomfortable with my unattractive resentment. Yet, there is so much guilt if I try to be true to myself and it is embarrassing to be the one who arrives empty-handed and leaves with something.

Rarely have I received something that I had to have or even remotely wanted. (Exceptions might be flowers, time together enjoying a meal, a well-chosen book...I do get the concept a little.) When I shop for myself, I am usually deliberate and careful. I know what I want. I don't want to inflict my taste on others. And the assumption that mass-marketed trinkets are my taste is annoying. How often I have kept something that I don't care for simply because I don't want to hurt the feelings of someone I care for.

To be honest, I understand and have felt the joyful feeling one gets when one thinks that a gift has really made someone's day. It is easy to do for one's own children when they are young. But I still always wanted to instill in my children that the haul was not the holiday.

Maybe the fact that I have been dirt-poor at times explains me; I don't like to be wasteful. Perhaps the fact that I am religious and think it makes way more sense to give to those in need explains me. I am not overly materialistic but I have everything I need. I am more a doer, less a consumer. Gift-giving seems excessive, boastful, competitive and extravagant to me but I am not criticizing those who really receive joy from it. I just wish I didn't feel I had to do it.

P.S.- Although it feels good to have ranted; I still end up feeling like a buzz-killer.
P.P.S- Scented soaps and candles are nice, I gotta say.

1 comment:

  1. Start making your own soaps. I do. That gives you something to give that is appreciated when it is given, and as it is used, and again the next time you give some.
    Make artsy soaps for uncommon people, plain soaps for sensible people and different colours and smells to please everyone. Give one or several as occasion etc. demand. You'll never run out of gifts, but the recipients will use up your gift before next birthday/visit/Christmas ...
    Sorry to be ranting, but I felt the same way for years. Now I finally found the solution and wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete